So my son really wanted homemade meatballs for dinner one night last week and there was just no time. I was debating on whether to post this because it is kind of a no-brainer. But I thought you would appreciate the healthy spin on it! This is kind of a new thing for us and luckily both kids love them. In a pinch, while still getting a healthy meal on the table, this is what I do.
- 1 package of lean ground turkey – at least the 93% lean (usually about 20 oz. in package)
- Lawry’s Taco seasoning packet 1 oz. (I have been searching for taco seasoning that does NOT have MSG) These do not! But for those with allergens, it does contain milk & wheat. Found in the ethnic foods isle (where the Mexican, Asian and Italian foods are)
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 taco shells – look at the ingredients at the regular brands. You would be amazed that almost all of them contain hydrogenated oils. I go with the organic isle here. Garden of Eatin’ is the brand and they are yummy. Mix up the colors and do some yellow and some blue. My kids get a kick out of it.
- 1 8oz. 2% reduced fat cheddar, shredded (mild or sharp depending on your preference)
- Lite sour cream or greek yogurt (again, your preference – yogurt is healthier!)
- Shredded romaine lettuce and or baby spinach (more nutritionally sound than iceburg!)
- Serve with brown rice and black beans.
In a large non-stick skillet, cook the turkey meat on medium until the pink is all gone. You can drain the fat. Add the Lawry’s seasoning packet along with 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, warm up your taco shells in the oven around 300 for 5-7 minutes. Spoon the taco meat into the shells and put on your favorite toppings. ENJOY!!!