Preheat oven to Broil.
- 1.5 – 2 lb. London Broil Steak (on sale at Giant this week, Buy One Get One Free)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Cooking Spray
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Dried Thyme, Dried Rosemary, Lemon Pepper Seasoning, Garlic Powder
Tenderize both sides of the steak. Lay on a foil lined baking sheet covered with a few shots of cooking spray. Drizzle EVOO on the steak (a few drizzles around does the trick) and lightly cover the steak with the remaining dry indredients. Flip it over and do the same to the other side. Broil for approximately 20 – 30 minutes until your preferred done temperature. We go for less pink here so that is what is recommended. Once you remove the steak from the oven, be sure to let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting it. This will help retain the tender and moistness.
Top with sauteed mushrooms. Serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli (we have the frozen florets – boil in water for a few minutes (until the fork gets through the stem easily – don’t over cook!) top with a little smart balance and a shake of sea salt). Frozen veggies are not only fast to prepare but packed with vitamins and nutrients. All of those good healthy nutrients are retained in the freezing process. So in most cases (unless buying from a local market that grows their own) you are gaining more nutrition from frozen as opposed to fresh in the grocery store.
Quick Sauteed Mushrooms
- 1 8 oz. pack already sliced mushrooms (usually same price as buying them whole)
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Smart Balance Butter
- Sea salt, pepper and garlic powder – all according to tasteC
Cook all together in a saute’ pan on medium heat. Cook until onions are soft and translucent and mushrooms are soft as well. Top over your steak! And a few parsley sprigs to dress it up.