So Fall is officially here! The weather is getting cooler and the days are getting shorter. Let me help you plan out your weekly meals and give you some of that time back! I am not an exact measurement kind of cooker as you will see with my recipes…
Week of October 17th, 2011
Turkey Chili (99% lean Giant brand on sale this week, $4.99, 1.3 lb. pack)
- 2 TBSP Canola Oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (or sub garlic powder)
- 1 package lean ground turkey
- 1 whole green pepper and 1 whole red pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cans of beans, mix it up! Use black beans, chili beans in sauce, red kidney beans (dark & lite), even garbanzo’s work!
- 1 can of seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 large can of tomato paste
- 1 can can tomato sauce (optional)
- Seasonings: Use at your discretion and to taste: Cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper, cilantro, garlic powder, salt & pepper
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
In medium to large pot warm up oil in pan. Add garlic and onions and cook til translucent. Add peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add chili and cook until pink is gone. Add all of the beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste & sauce. Once the paste cooks into the sauce, add all your dry seasonings. I lean heavily on the chili powder and cumin. About 10 minutes before serving, add the balsamic vinegar.
Top with cheese (we use 2% sharp cheddar), a dollop of light sour cream and dunk some organic tortilla chips in there too!
You can also do this in the crockpot in the morning. Throw all ingredients in there in the morning. Minus the toppings of course. Cook on low all day and your chili will be ready for dinner time. Enjoy! And the best part, leftovers for Tuesday night!